February 12, 2010

Child-sized AD&D Books

Mayhem and Chaos learn the Gygaxian ways.
My friend Rob gave me these neat tiny, 1st edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons books for Christmas.  An Italian company called Twenty First Century Games put these out.  According to this site, the mini books were produced to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the game.  I find that kind of odd given that when D&D hit its 25th year mark, it was well into the 2nd Edition.  Why didn't they make miniature versions of the current edition? Also, if this is true, I'm also kind of surprised they didn't use the original 1st edition art, but opted for the Easley art used in the latter days of 1st edition.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Easley covers, but it just seems you'd go for the original art if you were celebrating the anniversary.



Regardless, they are very cool.   Yes, they do have the actual text inside, although you need a magnifying glass to read it, and a strong one at that.

Here is a size comparison:
(notice the old Toys R Us price tag on the large Monster Manual II.  Ah, remember when that store sold D&D?)




As you can see, Chaos approves.


All in all, I received:
- Players Handbook
- Dungeon Masters Guide
- Monster Manual
- Monster Manual II
- Unearthed Arcana






            1 comment:

            1. Those are totally awesome. Perhaps someday I'll have kids to get them for!

              ReplyDelete

            Web Statistics