October 29, 2010

Lazy Friday Fantasy Metal Post (Halloween Edition): Fastway - Trick or Treat

Ok, so the "fantasy" element here is suspect, but I do still feel a D&D connection.  This song is from an old 80s horror flick called "Trick or Treat" about a kid resurrecting his metal hero, Sammi Curr, by playing a record backwards (check out the trailer here).  Of course, Sammi comes back all evil-like and starts the killin’.  This film came out at the height of the "Metal is Evil" era which overlaps with the "D&D is Evil" era, so there you have my tenuous connection.  These two manias are always connected in my mind and  Classic D&D will always have a metal vibe to me. The movie features cameos by Gene Simmons and Ozzy. This was back when Ozzy really was seen as a Prince of Darkness and not some stuttering clown and, in a brilliant move, he was cast as an evangelist preaching against the evils of metal music (see his scenes here).

Now, full disclosure, I have never seen this movie. I was chicken shit little kid when it came out (too young to see it in the theatres, not that my wimpy butt would have gone anyhow).  However, my brother did have the soundtrack (completely by Fastway) on cassette and I listened to it all the time.  The movie is not on Netflix yet, so I still haven't seen it.  It definitely looks like a "so bad, it's good" kind of movie.

Anyhow, without further ado, here is the rocking title track.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this song when it came out, and Fastway had some strong early 80's metal ("Easy Livin'", "Say What You Will"). Of course, fans of 80's metal-meets-horror movie know that such mixings of chocolate and peanut butter happened a number of other times, such as with Dokken ("Dream Warriors" from Nightmare on Elm St. III) and Megadeath ("No More Mr. Nice Guy" from Shocker). Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the fiulm many years ago when still at high school. Even by 80's standards it is just awful shlock horror but as you say tieing it into the metal craze made it worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics