February 29, 2012

20 Questions

My way or the highway, bitch.
Time for another questionnaire.... this time I'm answering "Brendan's 20 Quick Questions: Rules" questionnaire.


1. Ability scores generation method?
Roll 3 sets of ability scores in order using the "4d6 drop the lowest" method and pick the set you prefer.  I do this as sort of a half-way point between my "I'm old school, use those rolls in order, punk!" and "I hope your characters can survive the shit I'm throwing at them" mentalities.


2. How are death and dying handled?
Standard C&C rules:
    At –1 to –6 hit points, the character or monster is unconscious and
    grievously wounded. They require bed rest to recover, unless magically
    healed. A character so wounded must rest 24 hours before the process
    of healing begins, unless magically healed. With magical healing, the
    character’s hit points can only be returned to 0, after which healing
    proceeds normally.

    At –7 to –9 hit points, the character or monster is mortally wounded and
    loses one hit point per round after reaching -7 hit points. Aid administered
    to the wounds stops the hit point loss. This takes at least one full round,
    during which no hit point is lost. After 24 hours have passed, the normal
    healing process as described for -1 to -6 hit points begins.

    At –10 hit points death occurs immediately. Only resurrection,
    reincarnation or bribes to the Castle Keeper can remedy death.

3. What about raising the dead?
I go by the book on this as well (you lose 1 point of Constitution). I try to make it accessible and allow it if the party can afford the cost. I've learned that being too hardcore about raising the dead is more trouble than its worth.

4. How are replacement PCs handled?
Plot Convenience Playhouse style: "Oh look, a new adventurer wanders into the dungeon/tavern/campsite/sewer/brothel/Chuck E. Cheese and wants to join your party."

5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
PCs get individual rolls while the monsters get one (i.e., individual for the players, group for the monsters).

6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
Yes. We use Paizo's Critical Hit Deck and Critical Fumble Deck (we convert the 3.X rules to C&C on the fly).

7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
Only when something happens to a PC's head specifically (e.g., called shot to the melon, a trap targets the head, etc.).

8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
Oh yes.  You get the penalty for firing into melee and if you miss, there is a percentage chance of tagging a relevant party member.

9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
You will need to run.

10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Yes

11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes

12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
Not very strictly at all. Just don't be ridiculous and I reserve the right to enforce penalties if you are.

13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
No training. Whenever the group has a break from action, you can level up. You do get new spells automatically. All this can happen in the middle of an adventure.

14. What do I get experience for?
  • Monsters slain or overcome
  • Treasure gained
  • Magic items gained
  • Smart and/or entertaining game play (I reward this and ask the players to nominate people for rewards, even themselves).
15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
By dice rolls usually, but players get bonuses (or penalties) to those rolls if they describe how exactly they are looking. It is almost always is to the players' benefit to role-play the trap finding.

16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
Maybe not directly encourage, but certainly not discouraged. Morale for retainers, NPCs, and monsters is based mostly on DM judgement. 

17. How do I identify magic items?
With the identify spell, trial and error (sipping potions, playing with magic items, etc.)

18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? 
Minor items, potions, etc. I was more open to this with 3.5, but I think I'll be bit more stringent with C&C.

19. Can I create magic items? When and how? 
Sure, although it hasn't come up in my current campaign yet.  I plan on just going by the book.

20. What about splitting the party?
Sure, but I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics