April 9, 2010

The Survival Trophy

So because I run a freakin’ lethal campaign, I figured some reward - some badge of honor- should be bestowed to the player whose character has lasted the longest.  Once your character bites it, you must hand over the trophy to the next person in line.  When the campaign ends, the last player holding the trophy keeps it for good.

In my first campaign (this is my second Rappan Athuk campaign), the survival trophy was a Magneto bobble head (or, I’m sorry, it was a Magneto Wacky Wobbler, which is clearly MUCH different).  I’m not really sure why I went with it.  Perhaps because:
  1. It is vaguely trophy-like
  2. It is bizarre
This time around, I went with something more appropriate (albeit less colorful): a styrofoam skull from Macy’s, of all places (it was Halloween at the time).  The trophy is currently in the hands of “Grim” Jim, who runs the party’s ranger (see below).  To his credit, Jim has held onto it for a few years now (and Dave the Knave has been eying it up for just as long). Jim took it from Sam when Sam’s paladin was dropped like a bad habit by an onslaught of spectres.  Jim fled; poor Sam never got the chance.

I never really thought of it until now, but, rather morbidly, this trophy doesn’t come into play until after the first near-TPK (obviously, if it’s a full-fledged TPK, no one gets it). Along those lines, both of the trophies were handed out early on in both campaigns….

The Showdown in the Upper Temple of Orcus continues tonight.  We'll see if Jim retains the trophy.

3 comments:

  1. When I come back in two weeks I'd better have that trophy in my hot little hands. Otherwise, you've failed as a DM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, Dave, I have failed you. Jim's ranger yet lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty spiffy idea. In the past I've generally held out of game contests for the players. Kind of a last man standing wins. To which I've awarded a prize (last time was a dice rolling tower from WorldWorksGames). My players loved the chance to fight each other and show off their individual skills. They also learned some invaluable tactics on how to fight when you no longer have the support of your party. Overall it was a good success.

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics